These little cups are the perfect mini bite in the morning, says The Stiletto Chef, author Candice Kumai. They are low in fat, high in flavor and a perfect way to sneak spinach into your kids diet! Love it!
½ cup egg beaters egg whites
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups baby spinach
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
3 packages pre-baked mini phyllo dough shells
Directions for the Phyllo Cups:
1- Cut out 12 mini phyllo rounds using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass + a knife.
2- In a mini muffin tin, line with the phyllo cups, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and oregano and toast in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or just until golden brown.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the butter and diced onions, cook until fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add in the eggbeaters egg whites.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, add in salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the spinach, cook just until wilted.
- Fill each of the toasted phyllo cups with the egg mixture. Top off with feta cheese and fresh basil if desired.