21 Pearls of Wisdom to Keep You Healthy and Fit
For the past 15 years, certified fitness and nutritional consultant Andrea Orbeck has motivated and trained thousands of people in the U.S., Canada, and abroad. Which means she knows all the tips and tricky for staying fit.
Here, she shares 21 pearls of wisdom that keep her (and her clients) on track. After all, life is all about little adjustments!
1. Eating broccoli is one of the easiest ways for the body to absorb calcium.
2. Eating a few squares of dark chocolate can boost both energy and mood.
3. To boost metabolism, include short bursts of jogging during your walk.
4 . Nuts are one of the most balanced foods on the planet and will help in reducing cholesterol.
5. Having a small meal or snack every 3-4 hours keeps metabolism cranking.
6. Pound for pound, muscle burns more calories at rest than body fat.
7. The more support you have, the easier it is to lose weight and stay on track. So share your goals with others!
8. Eating blueberries will strengthen your immune system.
9. Drinking 2 cups of coffee or green tea may help you burn an extra 50 calories per day.
10. An appropriate serving of protein is equal to the size of your palm.
11. To lose weight and keep it off, get moving at least 60 minutes every day.
12. Lean red meat is high in Vitamin B and iron.
13. The body needs water to process calories. Even if you are mildly dehydrated, your metabolism may slow down.
14. An egg a day for adults is a safe and nutritious way to get protein.
15. If you're not hungry, don't eat! If you crave dessert, think fresh fruit or yogurt.
16. A lean of cut beef has barely more saturated fat than chicken.
17. An appropriate serving of carbohydrates is equal to one serving of carbs.
18. In addition to helping you stay in shape, exercise also improves your mental function, elevates your mood and keeps depression at bay.
19. Avoid crash diets. You lose muscle and decrease metabolism when you consume less than 1,000 calories per day.
20. Eat purple, red and blue grapes, they are loaded with antioxidants.
21. Sprinkle flax seed on your cereal. It's loaded with fiber which helps regulate the body and keeps you feeling full!