Simple Raspberry Lemon Zest Scones
These sweet scones are incredibly easy to make for a delicious brunch or an afternoon treat with the girls over tea, says chef and author Candice Kumai. Here's how to make them.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 ½ cups fresh raspberries (this is interchangeable with blueberries, dried cranberries, currants, apple slices etc)
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk beaten for egg wash
Zest from one Lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup sugar in the raw, for sprinkles on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and non stick spray.
2. Mix together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter or rub in with your fingers, until mixture has a coarse mealy texture.
3. In a large mixing bowl whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Gently fold raspberries into flour mixture, trying not to overwork them too much and fold together lightly with your hands until dough comes together, lightly toss a bit of flower to keep hands from sticking.
4. Turn out dough onto a floured work surface, and gently knead dough just to incorporate flour. Mold dough into a 1-2-inch-thick round. Cut into 8-12 wedges, (like a pie) depending on the size of scone you'd like.
5. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 35-40 minutes. Cool and serve immediately with a touch of butter, mascarpone cream, or a spot of tea.