Chef and author Candice Kumai is just as excited for fall baking as we are, so we asked her to share her yummy recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. Warm, gooey, and full of fall flavors, it's the perfect afternoon snack alongside a cup of coffee or tea.
(Makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves)
1 3/4 cup (1 15 oz. can) pureed pumpkin
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar, light brown is coo too!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chocolate chips (omit chocolate chips to make even skinnier)
1. Whisk the soft butter with the sugar and add in eggs, one at a time.
2. Gently sift in the dry ingredients, to marry the wet, (how sweet) flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg.
3. Using a rubber spatula fold in the dry ingredients, incorporate all the wet and dry ingredients, gently fold in the chocolate chips to make a dough, but do not over mix!
4. Lightly grease an 8' or 9" loaf pan or two small pans with non-stick baking spray. Lightly flour pans.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake on the middle rack for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the loaf is a bit firm to the touch. Remove from heat, allow the loaf to cool before handling.
6. Slice with a serrated knife. And slather up with pumpkin butter, butter or on it's own. It's like a slice of pumpkin heaven and a chocolate dream!