Recipe: Basler Leckerli Cookies
January is the perfect time to spend frigid afternoons whipping up warm delights in the kitchen. We found this Swiss recipe, courtesy of the Four Seasons Sultanahmet, and it was love at first bite.
These traditional spice biscuits (originally hailing from Basel, Switzerland) have a hint of ginger, lemon and orange zest. The slightly sweet flavor makes them the perfect pairing for a hot cup of coffee or afternoon tea.
Basler Leckerli Recipe
¾ cup honey
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup almond flour
11/2 cup flour
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp orange zest
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper, greasing and flouring the paper.
2. In a large pot, bring honey and sugar to a boil and cook for 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients together and add to the boiled honey and sugar mixture to the dry ingredients.
4. Roll out dough flat onto prepared baking sheet (the dough will be very sticky-use additional flour to prevent sticking when you roll out the dough). Allow the rolled-out dough to rest for 5-6 hours, or overnight.
5. Bake cookies in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and slide onto cutting board while still warm (cookies must be cut before they cool). Cut immediately into desired shapes and let cool.