During these harsh winter months, the scarves, coats, gloves are all broken out. You're constantly shivering and you want to consume nothing but soup, soup and more hot soup. Well then here's your perfect unique way to fix a hot soup on those chilly nights. Chef and author Candice Kumai shares her tips and tricks.
How to change up boring ol' Chicken Noodle:
Step into the limelight.
Add a lime! Why not? Find a place of love with your cooking and create your own signature soup! The acidity from lime brightens any bland soup. No lime? Go for it's big sister, the lemon.
Make it hot.
Chili flakes, or Siracha/Rooster Sauce. Put that into your bland chicken sopa and watch that metabolism rev!
Use leftover herbs.
Oh, and not those herbs. Fresh thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano--whatever you have leftover will do! Herbs add more phytonutrients as well as a vibrant, potent aroma to any bland dish. So throw a time sprig in there, or go bold with rosemary.
Spice it for life.
Spice things up by adding star anise, cinnamon sticks, mace, nutmeg, even dried ginger to soup. It adds brilliant flavor and an aroma that can warm up any chilly room.
Inspire and create something new.
However you like to do it, do it well. Use leftover veggies, bones and don't waste a thing while making that stock! Here's a recipe for a fabulous turkey/chicken noodle as well. Kumai loves using leeks and leftover beet tops to make her soups a bit pink. Live, cook, inspire and create.
- Chipotle Chicken & Rice Stuffed Squash
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Wild Rice Stuffing
- Delicata Squash Pasta
- Maple Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Tomato, Squash, and Feta Gratin
- Butternut Squash and Leek Gratin
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Pine Nut Quinoa
- Butternut Squash Pizza
- Saffron and Butternut Squash Risotto
- Festive Holiday Cocktails
- Healthy Holiday Side Dishes
- Fresh Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
- Mashed Turnips with Crispy Shallots
- Kale, Butternut Squash & Dried Cranberry Quinoa
- Whole Wheat Couscous Stuffing
- Apple and Walnut Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Sauteed Kale & Red Onions
- Carrot and Butternut Squash Puree
- Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
- Gorgonzola Green Beans
- Lemony Brussels Sprouts