We love carved pumpkins, but just like a fresh bouquet of flowers, they don't last forever. Once a pumpkin is carved, it usually only lasts a few days, mainly due to dehydration and mold, so the closer to your Halloween festivities they are carved the better.

However, you can take certain precautions to extend a pumpkin's life. Follow these simple tips, courtesy of HGTV, to enjoy your carved pumpkins for a little bit longer!
  • To prevent the pumpkin from mold and dehydration and to retain its shape, cover the carved areas and the interior with petroleum jelly. But make sure to wipe away any excess before placing a candle inside!
  • Another option is to spray the pumpkin with a mixture of water and a small amount of bleach. The water keeps the pumpkin moist and the bleach slows the growth of mold. For maximum life expectancy spray daily.
  • A third option is to use a pumpkin preservation spray that can be bought in any Halloween store to prevent the pumpkin from drying out. For the safety of your kids, make sure you buy a nontoxic, environmentally-friendly spray.
  • Finally, make sure to keep your pumpkin in a dry and temperature stable location!