Whether you're looking for adorable gifts to make this year or you're looking to impress guests with a festive treat, these snowflake sugar cookies are the perfect holiday delight. A crispy, buttery cookie is accentuated with powder sugar frosting that can be dyed with food coloring. Or, you can forgo the frosting and decorate them with other fun toppings.
Ingredients for Cookies:
3 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly chilled
2 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
Directions for Cookies:
1. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
2. In a separate bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer), combine butter and sugar, mixing on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Next, mix in egg, vanilla and almond extract.
4. Add flour in three parts, mixing well after each addition.
5. Flatten dough into two disks and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least an hour or until firm (you can stick the dough in the freezer to chill faster if you are short on time).
6. While dough is chilling, preheat oven to
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to ¼ inch thick.
8. Cut shapes from dough with snowflake-shaped cookie cutters and transfer cut dough to cookie sheets.
9. Bake until lightly brown, about 8-10 minutes. Repeat the process with remaining dough.
10. Let cookies cool on wire racks before decorating them with icing or other fun and festive holiday cookie toppings.
Ingredients for Powdered Sugar Icing:
Directions for Powdered Sugar Icing:
Mix powdered sugar and milk in a bowl until smooth. Add more milk if needed to get proper consistency. Frost cooled cookies.