10 Tips for Wearing Orange Makeup
We learned a couple of months ago that tangerine tango--a bright and fiery orange color--was the official color of 2012. And while we were all over incorporating it into our wardrobes with bold accessories, the trend has spanned far beyond clothing. Orange has also made its way into beauty.
From orange lips to sassy eye shadow, the tangerine trend is making its way into beauty stores left and right. In fact, Pantone has even created their own line of orange makeup for Sephora. Although many women are hesitant to swipe on bright orange lipstick, there are many easy ways to wear the trend. Sephora pro Jeffrey English gives us his top ten tips for wearing orange makeup:
1. The boldest way to wear Tangerine Tangino is on the lips! Make a bold style statement this spring with a super-saturated lipstick. To create the perfect bold lip, use a lip liner in a matching color like the Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil in Bright Orange 17C and color the entire lips – not just the outer lines. This will create a deep saturation and profusion of color. Then layer the lipstick on top for incredibly long wear.
2. For those who are a bit intimidated by color, ease into this trend by donning a hydrating gloss with a sheer wash of color and sparkly finish so that you can still make a statement.
3. Achieve that perfect spring flush with perfectly blushed cheeks. The trick with wearing tangerine-colored blush is to make sure that you achieve a multidimensional effect that really shows off the contours of your face. The Sephora + Pantone Universe Color of the Year Blush Duo offers the perfect combination of blush – a light orange matte and a pinkish orange with gold shimmer – so that you can apply the shimmer along the top of the cheekbones to catch the light while the matte shade should be applied to the apples of the cheek for a brightening flush.
4. Update your traditional smokey eye by integrating some color into this fan favorite look. Create a harmonious tangerine smoky eye using nude, orange, plum and black glitter shades. Use a tangerine color with a crease brush on the outer half of the lid to give the perfect amount of color.
5. One of the easiest ways to introduce tangerine into your beauty look is through a bold orange liner. Line your upper lash line with this bold shade to open up the eyes. For a more dramatic look, extend the line to the outer corners of your eyes to create a winged-look.
6. Bold nails are one of the hottest trends in the beauty world right now. Whether it's with nail decals, embellishments or just bright, vibrant shades, women all over the world are letting their nails be the ultimate finishing touch to any look!
7. Another way to integrate tangerine into your beauty look is through hair accessories. Whether it's through hair pins, headbands or my personal favorite, a feather hair clip (I love the Sephora Fiery Feather Hair Clip), it just goes to show you that the color options are endless.
8. Whenever wearing bold colors on your face, it is always important to focus the color on one part of the face – pick eyes, lips, or cheeks – so that you don't overdo it. Keep the rest of the face flawless with a smooth, even canvas.
9. For the beauty novice who is truly just beginning to experiment with color, take baby-steps and add some of pop of color into your life through beauty accessories! Whether it's a simple tool like an eyelash curler or even a brush set, you'll be sure to be on trend.
10. One of the most important things to remember is that color can truly affect your mood, perspective and style. Tangerine Tango exudes passion, enthusiasm and confidence and can liven up any look. Try adding a dash of tangerine to take your routine from dull to daring and get excited about the color of the year!