The winter months can be very rough on your skin. The constant change from cold outside to warm indoor leaves it dry, flaky and itchy – especially exposed areas, such as face and hands. That's why it needs some extra attention during these months, as well as right after. Follow these tips and your skin will be as smooth as silk.
Tip #1 – Shower less in cooler water.
Extreme temperature changes are your skin's worst enemy. While a hot shower might warm you up, it also dries out your skin because hot water reduces the fatty substances in your skin, according to Harvard Health. Try to take one shower per day during these critical months and keep the temperature balanced. Your skin will thank you!
Tip #2 – Exfoliate once a week.
Getting rid of old skin cells is important to make room for new ones. Exfoliating your whole body once a week leaves your skin fresh and rejuvenated. But don't forget to apply lotion afterwards.
Tip #3 – Use a fatty, fragrance-free soap.
Use a mild, fragrance-free soap without harsh ingredients to reduce skin irritation and help get your skin the fatty substances it needs. This is especially important for your hands, which you probably wash the most and which are often exposed to the cold. Also, try to apply hand lotion right after you wash your hands to keep them from drying out.
Tip #4 – Apply lotion after every bath/shower.
Apply lotion right away after every bath or shower to prevent your skin from completely drying out. Mild, fragrance-free lotions are most gentle to your skin, but make sure to use a thicker one than the one you use in summer as your skin needs some extra love. Lotions that contain oil are a very effective option. And don't completely dry off – instead, apply lotion when your skin is damp to keep some of the shower moisture.
Tip #5 – Increase the humidity at home.
According to Harvard Health hot air is drier than cool air. So, while we are cozy warm at home with our heater turned up to its maximum level, the air is drier than usual. Thus, to keep your skin moisturized, use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Or even simpler and cheaper – throw a pot filled with water on the stove and boil it, refilling the water as necessary.
Tip #6 – Don't wear itchy fabrics.
While fabrics like wool might keep you warm, they can also cause skin irritation due to itchiness and their rough texture. If you plan on wearing these fabrics, however, simply wear a shirt or gloves made of cotton underneath as cotton is very gentle on your skin.
- Almond Coconut Milk Scrub
- Benefit Cosmetics Honey Snap Out of It Scrub
- Fresh Sugar Face Polish
- Pure Fiji Coconut Mango Sugar Scrub
- Sabon Patchouli Lavender Vanilla Body Scrub
- Vichy Purete Thermale Detoxifying Exfoliating Cream
- Soap and Glory
- Tracie Martyn Enzyme Exfoliant
- Neutrogena Microdermabrasion System
- Kona Coffee & Sugar Detox Whole Body Scrub
- The Best Multi-Tasking Products
- Sonia Kashuk All in One Makeup Palatte
- GHD Straightener
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray
- Goody Styling Therapy Paddle Brush
- Perfekt's Matte Body Perfection Gel
- Petroleum Jelly
- Philosophy Amazing Grace Bath, Shampoo and Shower Gel
- Anastasia Beverly Hills All-in-One Brow Kit
- Hourglass Oxygen Foundation Mineral Powder
- Almay Bright Eyes Eye Base Concealer
- multiplEYE Mascara by Tarte
- Coastal Scents Professional Camouflage Concealer Palette
- EstÃ©e Lauder 'DayWear Plus' Multi Protection Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
- Bath and Body Works Anti-Bacterial Moisture Lotion
- Nars the Multiple Stick
- Dove Cream Oil Body Wash
- Gorgeous Lipstick Looks for Spring
- Magenta Perfection
- Peachy Pout
- Hot Pink Standout
- Pink Power
- Plush Pink
- Red Knockout
- Eye Spy Bright Pink
- Dark Red Mystery
- Light Berry Lips
- Blue Lips
- Statement Red Lips
- Rose Lips
- Deep Purple Pout
- Notable Nude
- Shocking Pink
- Orange Beauty
- Fall Red Lip
- Deep Red Beauty
- Black Cherry Lip
- Merlot Lips
- Nude Lip Surprise
- Crazy Sparkle Lips
- Red on White
- Very Berry Lips
- Not So Mellow Yellow
- Creamy Coral
- Red Royalty
- Plum-tastic Pout
- Pale Pink Perfection
- Nude Shimmer
- Lavender Lips
- Softly Subtle Smile
- Matte Red Glare
- Orangey Ease
- Regal Orange-Red
- Raspberry Red
- Maroon Magic
- Rosy Red Grin
- Fantastically Fuschia
- Salmon Smirk
- Beautiful Burgundy
- Scarlet Lips
- Green with Envy
- Vibrant Red-Violet
- Crimson Kisses
- Very Cherry Lip
- Plush Pout
- Perfectly Peach
- Nice and Natural